Saturday 25 April 2009

Misunderstandings...

I don’t think I explained myself well.

My first post was somehow misunderstood, especially by my Italian friends! I was accused of slagging off Italy and the Italian games industry.
Quite the opposite, my intentions were to raise the issue and make sure someone was talking about the current situation.

The few existing Italian developers are talented and they are doing a great job trying to let people understand that the games industry is now a serious thing, and not just a bunch of geeks programming in some dark smelly room.

There are quite a few companies that develop mobile phone games and casual on line games, which have become very popular over the last few years, especially thanks to steam, PSN and Xbox Live.
Milan based Black Bean Games are definitely doing a great job, releasing games constantly on various platforms.

The reason I was criticising the games industry in Italy, is that people struggle to understand the potential of the games industry (is it still just potential? Games sales beat the movie industry last year) and there are not many investors and the Italian media still goes on and on about how games make you kill people.(what the hell?)

Getting in the games industry is hard enough already. I was doing some research and I found out that while British developers seem to show interest in hiring new talent and offering summer placements, Italian games companies barely have a jobs section on their websites.

However, while I was surfing the net for information on student placements and jobs, I was happy to find out that in April 2009, following the 2008 first ever Italian Games Developer Conference, there was a second IVDC, I read a few articles and a few blogs (unfortunately it didn’t receive much media coverage).
There was a massive improvement. First of all, people actually turned up to the various presentations, secondly, the people that turned up were able to view good presentations rather than endless arguments between the various developers (that’s what happened the year before, apparently)
I can’t wait to attend IVDC 2010, hopefully I will convince some of my classmates to come along.

So, things are starting to change for the better, there are still many faults, but they are not impossible to correct. Hopefully this time I won’t be misunderstood, the reason why I write about this on my blog is because I would like to get a job in the industry, and if I had the opportunity and the right environment I would like to do that back home but, currently, it seems like, compared to the Italian industry, the UK games industry has a lot more to offer to an Italian Games Production Management student.

No comments:

Post a Comment